An Africa Safari Honeymoon is the ultimate way to start your marriage, itself one of life’s great adventures! We have lots of wonderful ideas for you to consider, from intimate bush getaways to brilliant beach breaks.
Countries such as Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia and South Africa offer beautiful honeymoon – and wedding – opportunities. Get married on the shores of the Zambezi River, or in a rainforest with the Victoria Falls in the background. How about marrying under the cooling shade of a huge fig tree, Maasai warriors standing sentry? Or barefoot on the beach in seaside paradise?
You might like to combine beach and bush for the perfect honeymoon – all the romance and relaxation of the ocean coupled with the excitement and adventure of the wilderness. Stay in luxury camps that offer a little pampering in their bush spas or sleep out under the night sky in a star bed…
African Safari Honeymoon Tips
These top tips will help make sure your safari honeymoon remains stress-free, romantic and unforgettable.
- Safaris can be quite tiring with early morning wake-up calls, lots of excitement and long game drives in the fresh air! So it is an idea to set aside a morning or two to sleep in, or take an extended afternoon siesta, relax by the pool or on your private deck/verandah and watch the birds or wildlife that come to you, or, for the ultimate indulgence, how about a couples massage, if there’s a spa at your lodge or camp?
- A private candlelit bush dinner or picnic lunch can easily be arranged for you.
Pack lightly. Most camps have a laundry service so you can travel light and save some space for souvenirs of your special time.
- Indulge: The wedding is over. Let go of diet worries and enjoy the wonderful food and unique dining experiences. You’ve earned a treat.
- Pack appropriately: No need to lug everything and the kitchen sink. Most African camps have laundry service so you can pack lighter – and save room for those only-in-Africa souvenirs.
- Embrace privacy: Unless you’re planning to travel with friends and family, arrange a private tour.
- Go wild: Add some real adventure to spice up your relaxation with a little drama – like shark cage diving or a horseback safari. Don’t sweat the small stuff: Leave any concerns in the capable hands of your camp manager, who is used to navigating the blips of traveling in Africa. Relax and enjoy the ride of being on Africa time.
- Hit the beach: Africa has an amazing variety of beaches. Splash in the surf on a secluded white sand beach – or take the opportunity to whale watch, visit penguins, snorkel or ride horses. Combine this with a bush break and you have the ultimate unforgettable honeymoon experience.
- Splurge: Budget enough to create the once-in-a-lifetime experience you envision. And if you need a little help, a growing trend has couples requesting money to help create special experiences in place of more traditional wedding gifts, often using online websites like honeyfund.com to point gift-givers in the right direction.
- Delegate the planning. You’ve done enough planning for your wedding. Let a specialized tour operator help you design and plan your honeymoon safari.